The original construction of Meiji Bridge was completed in 1901.
It was designed by Kutaro Hoshawa, an engineer working for the Governor-General Office of Taiwan.
To build an imperial road that connected Taipei City to Taiwan Shinto Shrine and spanned over Keelung River,
the first bridge was made of iron girder.
It was later rebuilt and became a reinforced concrete arch bridge in 1923.
It had a span of 120 meters with granite-made handrails and pairs of lamp-posts made of bronze on both sides of the bridge.
It also connected with the ways to Shilin official mansion and Grass Mountain Emperor Chateau.